Sunday, November 23, 2008

Kołaczki

I forgot all about kolaczki's until a friend at work asked me to make some. You would think being Polish, I would have a recipe for these on hand. Well.... I didn't .. ha ha I don't ever remember my mom or even my grandmother making these at home. I don't know why.. but I guess it was just easier to buy them at bakery.

I had to go and search for this recipe online and finally found a simple recipe.
Of course I had to do a trial run before I decide to make them for work. I don't want to disappoint my co-workers or embarrass myself. My family members are always my guinea pigs, but I never hear them complain.

The Kolaczki's actually did turn out pretty tasty, but I added a little too much jam per each serving and it spilled out a little. I used strawberry and raspberry to fill them.

I hate recipes that want you to roll out the dough because I can never do it. It just never works out for me, so I kind of just made them by hand. I pinched a little of the batter/dough at a time and made circles in my hand, and they turned out good either way.

Now on to the recipe.. Enjoy!

Kołaczki

1 cup butter or margarine, softened
1 package (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
thick jam or canned fruit filling (apricot or prune)

Mix butter and cream cheese until fluffy. Beat in vanilla. Combine flour and salt. Add in fourths to butter mixture, blending well after each addition. Chill dough until easy to handle. Roll dough to 3/8 inch thick on a floured surface. Cut out 2 inch circles or other shapes. Place on an ungreased cookie sheet. Make a "thumbprint" about 1/4 inch deep in each. Fill with jam. Bake at 350 for 10 to 15 minutes or until slightly browned on edges. makes about 3 1/2 dozen.

2 comments:

A Family/Group Member said...

I had never heard of it before today but I think I am going to try it.

DAVID said...

:9